At NutirCare Quest “Your good health is our priority”. Hence we have taken the initiative to provide all the necessary information you need about dietary supplements. You will also find detailed information about the kind of supplements you need depending upon your health requirements. For further queries feel free to contact us. It’ll be a great pleasure to help you.
WHAT IS A ‘DIETARY SUPPLEMENT’?
A dietary supplement is a product taken orally, that contains one or more ingredients intended to supplement the diet. These may be found in many forms, such as tablets, capsules, soft gels, gel caps, liquids, or powders.
They may contain vitamins, minerals, herbs or other botanicals, amino acids, and substances such as enzymes, organ tissues, glandulars, and metabolites. Dietary supplements can also be extracts or concentrates.
WHY DO I NEED A DIETARY SUPPLEMENT?
Our body naturally produces some essential nutrients required for the smooth functioning of our various internal organs and systems. Through the course of our lives, due to age or other external factors, these nutrients get depleted and create a deficiency in our bodies.
Studies have shown that Dietary supplements replenish these essential nutrients and help restore the good health and the smooth functioning of our body.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS?
Dietary Supplements may be found as anyone or a combination of the following:
- Vitamins: A Vitamin is an organic compound required by an organism as a vital nutrient. However, not all nutrients can be synthesized in sufficient quantities by an organism. Therefore, it must be obtained from the diet or dietary supplements. Vitamins are essential for growth, vitality and general well being of the body.
- Minerals: Minerals are the chemical elements required by living organisms, other than the four elements carbon, hydrogen,nitrogen, and oxygen present in common organic molecules. Minerals are used by the body to strengthen bones and transmit nerve impulses as well as secrete hormones. These, too, cannot be produced in the body and must be supplied to the body in the form of either food or dietary supplements.
- Plant Extracts: People, the world over, look to plants for their daily nourishment and nutrition as part of their diet. However, there are several elements of the plant (such as the seeds, trunks and skins), which we cannot consume directly, but are still highly beneficial to our bodies. The healthy benefits of these elements are extracted from the plant and converted into the form of a Dietary Supplement.
- Anti-Oxidants: Our body is constantly exposed to the harmful effects of our surroundings, such as pollution, cigarette smoke, radiation as well as contamination of our food and water. To combat these hazardous substances, our body produces anti-oxidants. By boosting the level of anti-oxidants in the body, through supplements, you can increase the ability of your internal systems to protect your body.
- Essential Fatty Acids: Essential fatty acids, or EFAs, are fatty acids that humans and other animals must ingest because the body requires them for good health but cannot synthesize them. Dietary Supplements provide nutritional fatty acids in the form of natural oils derived from fish, flowers and oily seeds.
AT WHAT AGE SHOULD I START TAKING DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS?
There is no specific age to start taking Dietary Supplements. However, if you are over 50, your nutritional needs may change and you will have to ensure that you are getting all the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients you need, as you get older. Women, for example, are more prone to depleting levels of Iron and Calcium in their body as they grow older and also due to Menopause.
Therefore it is advised to take multivitamin supplements to replenish these nutrients in the body.
DO I NEED MY DOCTOR’S ADVICE ON TAKING SUPPLEMENTS?
While information on Dietary Supplements is readily available through the television, books, the Internet and even friends and family, this information may not always be accurate and there is a large risk of misinformation. Therefore, it is important to question the information you gather from such sources seek advice from people who have formal training in nutrition, botanicals, or medicine, as well as access to the most recent research and development in the field.
This is of additional importance if you are pregnant, nursing a baby, or have a chronic medical condition, such as, diabetes, hypertension or heart disease. Be sure to consult your doctor before purchasing or taking any supplement. While vitamin and mineral supplements are widely used and generally considered safe for children, you may also wish to check with your doctor before giving these or any other dietary supplements to children below the age of 18.
DO I NEED A PRESCRIPTION TO BUY DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS?
No, a prescription is not required for the purchase of Dietary Supplements.
WHAT INFORMATION SHOULD I LOOK FOR ON THE LABEL?
In order to distinguish original, legal supplements from the fakes, there are certain details that must be mentioned on the label of a Dietary Supplement.
This information includes: a descriptive name of the product stating that it is a supplement; a complete list of ingredients; and the net contents of the product.
HOW IS THE SAFETY OF A DIETARY SUPPLEMENT ENSURED?
By law the manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that its dietary supplement products are safe before they are marketed.
Therefore it is imperative that you buy supplements only from a trusted source and always seek a medical professional’s consultation before taking them. It is also helpful to contact the manufacturer and clarify any queries that you may have about the product.
CAN SUPPLEMENTS BE A REPLACEMENT FOR OUR DAILY DIET?
Our nutritional needs should first and foremost be met by a fresh, healthy and balanced diet. Dietary supplements must only be consumed to provide the extra essential nutrients that are deficient in our body due to age or other external circumstances. They should not be used as a replacement for our daily diet.
HOW MANY TABLEST/CAPSULES SHOULD I CONSUME IN A DAY?
It is important to take the correct dosage of each supplement. Do not exceed the suggested or recommended dosages of any supplements. Suggested dosages can be found on the description page of all our products on the website.